October 06, 2006

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Three weeks ago, I have sneaked into the Children's section of the National Library.

STOP!


Rewind......


Three weeks ago, I have ventured in the Children's section of the National Library. I have not done so since Harry Potter days, where I am literally "competing" (though more like fighting) with the children for one of the Harry Potter books. This time round, I guess the competition is less intense, ie there are no kids lurking suspiciously behind me when I grab the books of Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events".

The stories of the Baudelaires children are meant to be sad and tragic. What have happened to the Baudelaires are indeed tragic. Lemony Snicket is not just narrating their stories. He has employed alot of "reverse pyschology" and "word definition" in his story telling. For instance, he will ask the readers to put down the book or discontinue reading at various stages in the book if the readers prefer happy-ending books. In other instances, he will spare a few paragraphs to define the less common words used in the previous paragraphs. The definitions used are often humourous. These have sort of broken the pace a little and reduced the intensity of the misfortunes. Hence, despite the sad plots, one could not help having a smile on their faces while we flipped the pages of the book.

Do try to pick up a book if you have the time.

P.S. Don't fight with the children over the books. *Wink*

No comments: