October 28, 2006

Mums

I brought my mum to the gym today to introduce her to treadmill. Not that I am an expert when it comes to dealing with machines, but perhaps I am slightly more 'knowledgeable' about a treadmill than her.

Although I grow up in an age where computers have already infiltrated our lives, I still have a nagging fear of machines - the fear that if I press a button and then see smoke or the screen goes black. When dealing with any intelligent machines (more intelligent and automated than me), I proceed with caution. Afterall, 2 PCs have crashed while under my care. Before I go on, I must stress that their dying have absolutely NO connection to me! Their 'corruption' and eventual 'passing away' are pure unfortunate events.

Anyway, back to the gym story. My mum was terribly concerned when I attempted to start the treadmill for her. She struggled with her first few steps but managed to get the hang of it after a while. Her alarm bells started ringing again when she saw me running on the treadmill.

"Don't run! You will fall!"

"No, I won't!"

I am not trying to be defiant or rude. Given my poor motor skills and coordination, her concerns were not unfounded. However, you can either walk or run on a treadmill and the main function of the treadmill is to simulate 'real running', ie allows running on the spot to train you as if you are running in a park. Her cautions fell on deaf ears and I continued with my running.

Mums are still mums. No matter how old you are or even if you are already a parent yourself, they will still care and watch out for you.

Although age has caught up with my mum and it has reached a stage where I am watching out for her more than she can for me, she is still very insistent about sheltering and taking care of me. This does not apply only to my mum. My colleagues who are already the mothers of two share the same sentiments. In addition to their daughters, their mums have extended their protection and love to their grandchildren as well. In their eyes, we are always not capable of taking care of ourselves.

Mums are still the best! :-)

No comments: