Watching some TV programs recently triggered some wondering about whether some people have gone into or stayed in a relationship for the sake of it.
1) In love with love
I heard about this many years ago from a teacher. She was commenting that some people go into a relationship because they are in love with love itself rather than the other person. They either like the idea of romance or have the fear of loneliness that they mistake this for loving someone.
Before you enter a relationship, do a self-check and make sure you are not in love with love.
2) Habit
Sometimes, we may have a nagging feeling that something is not quite right, yet we have allowed things to continue for fear of disrupting the status quo. Some attached and married couples have stayed together despite having many complaints about each other. It makes one wonder they are still together purely because of habit. Afterall, few have the courage to step out of their comfort zone.
When things are no longer meant to be, the amount of hurt may be reduced by taking more courage.
3) Quality Time
Some have not spent enough time with each other and they rush into marriage which they regret thereafter. Some cease to spend time with each other after they are married. Then when they finally do, they realise that each other has changed so much that the other person has almost become a stranger.
Spending quality time with each other is important. By quality time, I really mean devoting the time to communication about your thoughts, your value systems, your day, etc. It is not just sitting together in front of the TV.
P.S. I am not relationship expert and neither do I aspire to be. I am merely capturing down my thoughts and hope that these will always serve as reminders for myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment