October 07, 2006

Decision Making

For many who know me, they will know I loathe indecisiveness and my decisions are often ruled by rationale than emotions.

Thousand apologies to those who hate the Channel 8's 9 o'clock drama. Please bear with me again when I draw references to the scenes of the show again. ;-p There was a scene where Shuyang was lamenting about her impetus when she has wrongly jumped to conclusions about Gao Ming and Jie'er and plunged into marriage with Weilun. She was regretting her rash decisions despite her training to be always rational and decisive for work purposes. Similarly, Gao Ming who appeared to be very objective and decisive in fighting his cases became wishy-washy when dealing with his ambiguous relationship with Jie'er.

They are not the only ones.

Many people I have met were in similar situations or faced similar issues. Many who are very decisive and rational in work often falter when making non-work related decisions. The decisions to be made can range from something as trivial as deciding which brand of detergent to buy to something as major as marriage.

I am slowly plagued by indecisiveness when it comes to non-work related decisions, such as what to eat, where to go for a gathering, whether to watch Phantom of the Opera, etc. Hopefully, this shortcoming will never spread to work-related decisions. Why is it always easier to maintain an objective, rational and decisive approach to work? How many of us can exhibit the same qualities for both work related and personal decisions?

When I was sharing this 'interesting' observation with my friend recently, she commented that perhaps for certain decisions, it should not be driven by rationale but should be ruled by emotions.

What is your take?

I guess I trust rationale more than I trust my emotions. Despite the difficulty, I hope I can still rely on my rationale to make most decisions and to make them decisively. Somehow I feel that making decisions with rationale is likely to be more weighted and considered and outcome is more within control. Afterall, emotions can be rather fleeting in nature, isn't it?

No comments: