I have passed the age where I get excited even a few days before Chinese New Year.
I used to look forward to the goodies, the ang paos and the new clothes. The CNY mood would be extremely strong starting from the eve itself where there was steamboat, helping to take out the sweets and goodies in preparation of the next day’s visits and helping my mum put in money into the ang paos.
Now CNY has diminished to just like any other public holiday. In some of the years, we have even ceased some of the practices, like wear new clothes, go visiting or spring cleaning. In the years where we have spent the CNY overseas, it was even harder to be excited by the CNY mood.
Although this year, I have yet again spent the eve and the first day overseas, I have managed to uphold some of the traditions. I have worn new clothes on the first day. I have even had new bedsheets for the new year.
I used to look forward to the goodies, the ang paos and the new clothes. The CNY mood would be extremely strong starting from the eve itself where there was steamboat, helping to take out the sweets and goodies in preparation of the next day’s visits and helping my mum put in money into the ang paos.
Now CNY has diminished to just like any other public holiday. In some of the years, we have even ceased some of the practices, like wear new clothes, go visiting or spring cleaning. In the years where we have spent the CNY overseas, it was even harder to be excited by the CNY mood.
Although this year, I have yet again spent the eve and the first day overseas, I have managed to uphold some of the traditions. I have worn new clothes on the first day. I have even had new bedsheets for the new year.
(My new bedsheet)
Anyway,
Gong Xi Fa Cai!
No comments:
Post a Comment