February 01, 2007

Simple is Beautiful

I was intrigued by the trailer as the theme of simplicity is refreshing. I have always reminded myself to catch the program when it airs. However, I have always forgotten about it completely when Tuesday comes. Then I lament about my forgetfulness the next day. On the Tuesday which has just passed, I have managed to catch it when it was aired.

This program is a welcoming breath of fresh air amidst the spate of reality series. It is an informative program which shares tips on D-I-Y via the happenings of the main character and is delivered in an almost diary-like, narrative style. The tips shared are simple to apply for both beginners and slackers.

There is a theme / event for the episode to link the DIY tips. For instance, it was a picnic date on last Tuesday, so the DIY tips centre around the preparation of food suitable for a picnic. The recommendation was Japanese food, as a change from normal sandwiches and sushi typically taste better when cool. This reduces the hassle of keeping the food warm. In addition to sharing information on the ‘hows’, the program shares the rationale for performing certain steps. For instance, vinegared water has to be prepared when making sushi because sushi are made with hands and vinegared water serves as an antiseptic for the hands.

For people who are big on DIY or those who crave for something uniquely made, Simple is Beautiful is definitely a must-watch.

No comments: