February 02, 2007

369

369

The number of SMSes I have clocked between 24 Dec to 23 Jan 07. My personal record high number of SMSes.

I have exceeded the threshold for SMS under my subscription plan for the first time! This means a $0.05 per SMS charge imposed for any SMS above the threshold. Strangely, I cannot remember who I have sent the SMSes to and whether I have really sent so many (average 12 per day?).

I have always been one of the low-consumption users for talk time and SMSes. I am one of those “old-technology” kind of person. I prefer meeting up with the person than keeping in touch via phone calls or SMSes which seem rather impersonal and often subject to misinterpretation. Since I have been on a subscription plan, I have never exceeded the threshold.

It will be wonderful if the telco can allow ‘bringing forward’ of unconsumed talk-time or SMS for 1 month, in the same way as some companies allowing their staffs to bring forward their unconsumed leave for 1 year. This will greatly benefit end consumers as in certain months consumption will be greater because they are the festive months (eg, Dec, Jan, Feb), more eventful or the months are simply longer (eg, 31 days vs 28 days). More of us will be able to keep within the limit.

From an accountant’s point of view, such a scheme will simply be nightmare in terms of the billing and collection system. The logic to put into the system to compute the brought-forward unconsumption, to derive the net consumption for the month, before determining the chargeable amount already sound like a mammoth task. From a business’ point of view, such a scheme will simply mean more resources (in terms of the complex billing system) and less returns (since consumers are less likely to be imposed additional charges).

However, I am a selfish consumer. As long as I am not the one owning the business or doing the billing’s work, I will choose whatever is best for the end consumers. I will continue to hope for the day that a ‘bring-forward’ plan is introduced to all users.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

since u're one of the staff for one of the telco coy, u can make the suggestion!! hahaha....

wc