August 26, 2006

Meaning of Blog's Life

Don't be too intimidated by the title. Don't worry, I am not about to launch into some philosophical theorems. Anyway, even if I want to do it, I doubt I am competent enough to do it. *Sheepish grin*

One of the issues we talked about during our girls' night out last evening was the purpose of the blog and whether one should or would share their blogs with people they are close to.

One of my friends commented that some people might not be as comfortable sharing their blogs because they might reveal alot of sensitive or intimate details in their blogs. If they knew that one of their friends may be reading their blogs, they might not be as comfortable expressing their truest thoughts. It was not an issue of one sharing unpleasant details of their friends but rather their friends might second guess or misinterpret what they have read. Such episodes would require substantial clarification thereafter. In order to prevent this, then one might not include their innermost thoughts in their blogs which caused the meaning of blogs to be lost.

Another friend added that some people might write alot of problems or 'complaints' in their blogs as a means to vent their fustrations. Hence, these would be negative readings for their friends. Why heaped your worries on your friends when most of the time, it would not help to alleviate the situation?

I totally agreed with their views and respected those who do not wish to share their blogs with their friends. Personally, I held somewhat a more different view from those I mentioned above.

I am more comfortable sharing my blog with my friends and people who know me than people I don't. This perhaps stems from my intention of having a blog:.
1) To capture some snapshots of my life, my experiences, my thoughts and emotions; and
2) To share some of the things happening to me or some the thoughts which are 'haunting' me.

Generally, men tend to be forgetful. We will forget more and more things as time goes by. This is important as it allows us to get on with life or we will forever be caught in the past. Thus, there should be some form of recording down your life, so that we can relive and remember some of the more important phases or events. Natural memories can fade, so we substantiate with man-made memories like photos, diaries, blogs etc.

No matter how close you are to your friends, you still do not see each other 24/7. So instead of being on the phone 24/7 to talk about what is happening to your friends, blogs can be an effective medium of sharing your life, happenings and thoughts, with all your friends. I always feel that I am missing out on a large part of some of my closest friends' life simply because we cannot see each very often.

Hmm, I may sound too idealistic above. Trust me, I am not. Since starting my blog, I have received comments and concerns from my friends. From reading my blog, they know what are some of the issues bothering me and what are some of the things I enjoy doing. This truly surprises me. When I share my initial entries with some friends, I have thought they will just read them as it was a novelty. Little did I expect them to continuously revisit my blog time to time. My blog seems to be the bridge which accelerates the understanding between my friends and me.

In case, you are wondering why I suddenly become such a prolific writer in a single day.... Well, I was inundated with a lot of thoughts today and wanted to pen them down and share with all my friends. Hope you understand me better from what you have read on my blogs.

1 comment:

MaoMaoMum said...

If that "someone" dont really want to let other people read about their blog, why dont they just stop writing?
For me.....if you think you dare to write, why scared to let people read it, right?