August 09, 2006

Guilt

It's time to buy lots of birthday presents again. Hmm, I seem to have a lot of friends whose birthdays fall in the period of June to September. So, usually this period, I will be busy shopping, thinking, shopping and thinking of presents to buy.

July 29 was the birthday was one of my best and oldest friend - Huanxin. We have known each other since Sec One but managed to become closer only in JC. This year, she chose to spend her birthday in Japan with her husband-to-be. Fortunately for me, it means I have a few more days' grace to buy her belated birthday present.

With lots of help from her and little, if not nil, creativity from me, I got the 'inspiration' on what to get for her. She enjoyed making cards, so three of the friends, including me, got her stamps and ink pads for her to use on cards.That settled the gift itself.

The next problem was where to get them? Then, what sort of patterns would she like? Big or small? Long or short? Sigh! I practically know next to nothing. With a huge sense of guilt, I called her to get all the relevant help from her to succeed in the 'mission'.

Done. Bought the present, ready to be handed over to her this Sat. However, still can't shake off the huge sense of guilt.

Why is it that I seem to know so little even in terms of her hobbies? She is afterall one of my 'oldest' and best friend.
Has my job been too all-consuming that left me too exhausted and blase towards the people around me? Or is it simply because I have not made too much of an effort? I seem to be missing alot on the happenings and developments of my friends.
Will it be too late to do service recovery? I must really pace myself in terms of work and ensure that I have more time to be with the people who care for me. This shall be my mid-year resolution. ;-p

To all my friends, please forgive me. I promise I will put in extra efforts to safeguard our friendships.

No comments: