August 15, 2006

First Day

After a short 2 weeks' break, finally it's time to start the engine roaring again.

Don't hammer me, 2 weeks really flew past. 2-week break after 4 years is definitely necessary and important. It gives the body and the mind sufficient rest and recharging for new challenges. Given a choice, I would prefer a longer break though it may come at a higher price to my pocket. ;-p

I have finally 'met' my new workstation, department, office and colleagues. The workstation is slightly smaller than my previous, but the orientation is better, ie I face outside, so will no longer have the 'danger' and discomfort of someone watching my back. The new office uses Outlook for emails which I have lost touch since my NTU days, so need to spend time getting used to it.

My boss and colleagues are quite open and friendly, though I only manage to lunch with 2 of them. We are a team of 6, including my boss.

My new boss was warning me about 'familiarity withdrawal' symptoms - withdrawal symptoms associated with losing the familiarity with the happenings and the comfort of old office. She is right, starting to feel a little when I was looking through the information at my workstation. However, it is important to maintain a cheerful and humble attitude and to keep an open mind, then we will definitely be able to overcome the 'familiarity withdrawal' symptoms.

As a new comer, I have already gotten into some action today by participating in 2 meetings, though more of an observer than a contributor. Although the meetings are held in the same room with the same business rep, we actually call to different countries. At the same time, there is also a lot of information to absorb, be it in the form of 'survival toolkit' for all employees (HR related), business information about the products, organisation structure and technical information about tools and models.

With so much 'action' packed into 1 day and with the engine not yet gotten into momentum, I actually felt excited but drained. There is more action tomorrow with more meetings and things to do. Wish me luck. :-)

2 comments:

icequeen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MaoMaoMum said...

祝:开工大吉
Ah Gao