July 28, 2009

New Role - Mentoring

There would be a new management associate joining the company next month. This management associate program was newly created to encourage more department heads to recruit fresh graduates. My boss has decided to appoint me as a mentor for this management associate.

Mentor? It sounds like heavy responsibility especially to someone new to the company and someone new to the workforce. Whatever I do or say will likely etch on the memory of this newbie.

My impatience can also get pretty out of hand when I am short of time and becomes extremely task-oriented. Will this also dampens the spirit and ideals of the newcomer? How do I strike a balance between getting my point across and work done versus coaching for him to gain experience?

I am excited about this role as it is a good opportunity for me to develop my soft skills, especially in coaching. Yet, this will be added to my already ballooning portfolio. Do I have time and energy to do a good job. At this point, I am still filled with apprehension.

No comments: