July 20, 2009

Arrow Shot!

My boss's boss asked me once again if I had thought through what he mentioned.

I chose my words carefully by being upfront with him on my concerns which included my fear of not being able to contribute to the project as much as my other colleague. I also highlighted the disconnect when my colleague did the operational work while I did the project. Such disconnect could be better streamline if both the operational work and project fell under one person.

After hearing my monologue, he also shared with me why he had decided to choose someone with less experience for the job.

Firstly, he thought this would be a good opportunity for me to be exposed to work of a different nature. Secondly, he thought that being less entrenched in the issues of the past, I would be able to bring a fresh perspective to the work. Both his points were valid and provided strong grounds which made it difficult for me to decline.

He also suspected my ultimate concern about the workload even when I had not told him directly. He assured me that he could always do reshuffling of the work if the project became too effort and time consuming. Finally, he asked if he could allay all my fears, I would want to give the project a try.

What could I say? It seemed illogical and unreasonable for me not to accept the opportunity that came knocking when my boss's boss seemed to provide all the necessary support.

Sensing my reservations, he finally asked if I could leave the decision to him and my boss to decide who should head this project. I nodded my head but I needed not to hear his final decision. I already knew that I would lead this project. The question remaining would be how my other porfolio would change accordingly.

It was time to pack my bags to start a 2-day bootcamp the next day.

No comments: