My sister decided to host a barbecue at home and with her friends. Initially, we were still contemplating if we should gather both her and my friends together. Subsequently, I decided to hold a separate gathering for my friends instead as my place was not exactly a mansion and the barbecue area was quite cosy (euphemism for squeezy).
We were quite excited as this would be the first time we tried a barbecue caterer who would marinate all the food and deliver to our home. All we had to do is to set up the fire and put the food on the fire to cook them. In addition to barbecue food, the menu also included staples such as fried noodles.
Her first friends starting arriving at around half past five in the evening. I was all charged to help her out to ensure that she and her friends could have a wonderful time. However, it was dampened slightly by the haughty attitude of one of her friends. She made me feel like I was intruding on their gathering.
She walked into our home blatantly ignoring my presence even though I was there to greet her, her husband and her mother as guests. Strangely what honour we had for her mother to grace this occasion was beyond me as I believed it should be a gathering for friends and their spouses at most.
She continued to venture around the house unchaperoned as if she owned the house, with the entourage of her mother and her husband. I started to seethe with anger but contained myself to prevent the evening starting off on a bad note.
When the fire was started, the trio started eating huge amount of the food even before any other guest arrived. Not knowing how many more people we were expecting and whether they were big eaters, I cautioned my sister to 'hint' to the trio that there were more guests expected. My sister oblivious to the inconsideration of the trio was reluctant to halt the continual eating of this trio. At this juncture, I felt like stepping forward and directly told off the trio.
Shortly, when another lone friend of my sister arrived, she was again kept at bay as the trio practically hog the barbecue pit. This poor friend of my sister had to stand at one side and wait and without food. Sensing her awkwardness, I approached her to talk to her and to help my friend out while keeping an eye on the trio. Fortunately, as more friends arrived and the barbecue took on its own live, the place was no longer hogged by the trio. The evening turned up to be quite fun in the balmy weather.
In the end, I never helped much as I did not want to be seem intruding on my sister's party. Somehow, I felt that my sister needed to brush up her crowd control skills more especially with regards to the inconsiderate trio.
No comments:
Post a Comment