July 24, 2009

Change of Portfolio Again

Although this is my second job after I graduated, it feels as if this is the 6th to 7th job I am having.

In first job, I was fortunate to have bosses who were willing to offer opportunities for me to gain exposure to various aspects of finance. Within operations, I had ventured into billing and collection and later procurement and payables. During my stint in operations, I was lucky to participate in the financial policies review which was more on control and policies. Later, I was moved to management accounting which focused on budget and reporting before ending my first job at financial accounting where I had to revisit all my financial standards for statutory reporting.

In this job, I have been in management accounting all these while but I had a chance to support for the performance of a product as well as reporting of a department. Most of my peers were either in product performance or department performance. Even within products I had moved across several products where I seemed to change one product yearly.

There are often both pros as well as cons associated with changing portfolio. The pros include an exciting time with no room for boredom. The cons include a steep learning curve almost constantly. Just as I thought I could be comfortable doing something arising from familiarity, it was time for the carousel to turn again.

I wonder how long I will stay in this current portfolio.

No comments: