May 26, 2007

Sinful Feast

Life is great!

Sounds vaguely familiar to the tagline of a financial institution? Life is great with comfort food.

Comfort food is often what we term food that helps lift our spirits on a demoralized day. Not that I undergoing emotional doldrums. It is more of a desire to pamper myself after a pretty hectic week at work. Hence, I threw all inhibitions to air and sank into full indulgences of sinful food – food I normally minimize intake of; food which I know will cause my cholesterol level to deteroriate; food will pile on heaps of fat on my increasing weight.

Laksa, Mee Reebus and Nasi Lemak. These food will likely to top the chart of trans fat, cholesterol, heatiness and calories. Although I felt guilty over this sinful feast, the meal has also resulted in a fulfilling satisfaction, not only to my stomach but to my day as well.

My mum has discovered this little eatery which apparently filled with the office crowds on a typical working day. The patrons must be attracted by the good food. While we were in Bugis shopping today, we had decided to pop in for a trial. Duh-duh! Drum rolls please. The eatery was Qi Ji at Bugis Village.

I used to place the Mee Reebus at HDB Hub at the topmost position. However, its ‘standard’ has dropped drastically. I finally found a replacement for my favourite Mee Reebus. It has the perfect serving of Mee Reebus with gravy which is not too starchy or watery to dress the springy noodles. The ingredients used are simple with maybe just Tau Pok or Tofu with an egg. Yet, the aroma of the gravy will whet your appetite as you eat more and more mouthfuls. The adding of small dried shrimps (hei bee) enhances the sweetness of the gravy.

Nasi Lemak is offered in different sets. However, the crew will allow you to replace one or two item in the set with your own preference in another set, as long as the items of exchange have similar pricings. The chicken wings are golden brown. The ikan bilis peanut are crispy but not too hard. There is scrambled egg or omelet to choose from.

The Laksa are served with cockles, tau pok and fish cakes. The gravy has a good mix of spiciness and coconut fragrance, but without being overwhelmingly thick.

Looking around us, satisfaction was apparent on the faces of other patrons. Moreover, the empty bowls, ‘cleaned’ of even the gravy, spoke for themselves.

Yum yum! I will definitely come back in the future and to try on other delicacies as well, such as the Poh Piah (spring roll), the Mee Siam and the different sets of Nasi Lemaks.

No comments: