There has been a slight culture shock in the first few days I have been in China. The practices and the environment are vastly different.
First is the toilet. Although the maintenance of toilets has improved tremendously, the upgrade in the toilet facilities has not spread to some rural areas. Many toilets still are not equipped with toilet paper and the locks in the cubicles are not working. In the rural areas, there may still be toilets without proper cubicle or flushing facilities.
Second is the communal practice of some of the locals which may take some time to get used to, in terms of food and changing of clothes. During one of the breakfasts, we have seen some locals enjoying the food in common trays using their used cutlery. There is another instance where a local family squeezed with us for breakfast when it was a table for only four. There were four of ur and four of them. We were the first to be seated there. In the end, we had a rather uncomfortable and squeezy meal.
When I was trying a top in one fitting room, another girl has squeezed in and both of us shared the same tiny fitting room. I was not used to sharing a fitting room with another person. After I finished changing, I had just 'conveniently' pulled open the curtain to get out, totally forgetting that she had not finished changing. I had to immediately apologised but not before she threw me dagger stares and a look of wondering which planet I have come from.
For those who prefer smoke-free environment, it takes time to get used to cigarette smoke and smell in air-conditioned places, such as restaurants. Unlike Singapore, smoking in aircon environment is legal.
The locals value healthy lifestyles, especially the elders, who will wake up early and sleep early. They are also particular about food, as some food cannot be taken together, eg lettuce and tofu. Hence, hearing the local guides speak about how the locals manage to maintain good health was an enriching experience.
This is also the first time I have experienced such coldness where my teeth was chattering even though I was in sweaters. This is the first time I see mist coming out of my mouth when I talk and breathe hard. *Grin* This is already mid spring and summer is soon approaching. In climate terms, the worst cold has been over. Yet, we still felt frozen.
This is also the first time I have walked long distances in the rain without an umbrella. It was a good experience because we were never so liberated in Singapore. Every time we see a person without an umbrella in the rain, we will think the person in insane. Whereas in China, no one took a second look.
China is still very populous. Despite its vast lands, there are still many people in many places on weekdays. This helps us better appreciate the Chinese government’s one-child policy.
Chinese’ long history, being one of the oldest civilizations, is very apparent in the sites and attractions which we have visited. These ancient sites and structures amazed us with the strength and intelligence of the Chinese ancestors.
At the same time, there is massive development in many cities which again amazed us with the strength and determination of the current Chinese government. In the span of a few years, China is no longer what we used to hear and imagine.
Visiting a country is just a preview of the culture of the people. Nevertheless, it is indeed an eye-opener.
No comments:
Post a Comment