September 05, 2009

Beauty of Lotus – a Compliment or an Insult?

Ever since Ah Peng introduced me to Flowers Over Boys, I have been hooked. Watching this drama serial becomes the highlight of the week. Even if I am out on a Saturday evening, I will rush back to catch the latest episode of Flowers Over Boys faithfully.

In the last episode last night, Jin Sicao was complimented by a monk in the temple to have the look of a lotus. A lotus thrives in a hostile environment. It grows out of mud but can purify the water it grows out of and still brings pristine beauty to its environment. It is often a compliment given to ladies who overcomes their hostile environment.

Or so it seems.

Many years ago, someone has made that comment to me. He was my uni ECA (now known as CCA, I believe) junior. We were having tuition for our students. I could not remember the details but we were talking about our alma mater. When he heard where I had graduated from, he was incredulous. He told me I was like a lotus untainted by the mud.

My first response was surprised as I had never expected this and so openly. It kept me happy for the whole session. It was only later that I felt that it was an insult. I felt guilty for being charmed into believing it was compliment and disloyalty towards my alma mater. Drawing an analogy of my alma mater to mud was definitely an insult, not only to the school but all the sisters.

I have always been proud of my school, its culture, the sisterhood, the creative and free environment to develop individual personality and interest. It is in no way hostile. In fact, the friendship forged during those years becomes my strongest social support. The values inculcated were those that I often strived to constantly practise in life. It is one of the best schools to be educated in. It is an honour to be immersed in such a good school. If I ever have daughters, there is no question asked which school I will encourage her to enroll in as long as she can make it through the high cut-off point.

With hindsight, if I were faced with this compliment, I would certainly give the guy a piece of my mind for his insult to my alma mater.

No comments: