November 17, 2006

Warm Gesture from My Boss

There was a sharing session today where senior management communicates the performance for the last quarter. It was meant to be a day of interaction, fun, food and even movie.

I have to give it a miss as there were 2 meetings scheduled with other Departments and big boss. They could not be rescheduled due to my big boss's extremely tight schedule. Although my boss had asked me to go for the movie if I liked, I thought it would be irresponsible to leave my boss in the lurch. It would be totally unprofessional and immature. On the selfish side, opting for the movie could perhaps jeopardise my job and land whatever career I have in dire state.

To make up for my missing the movie and the food, my boss actually brought me out for lunch. We went to Fish & Co and had quite a fun chat on holidays (again, this seems to be a common interest among our team).

I have not been to Fish & Co for ages (literally, in multiples of years, not months or weeks). There seems to be changes to the menu since the last time I was there (which vaguely could be when I was in JC). I had the black pepper stingray which was quite good, though I have found the sauce to be slightly salty.

It was really sweet of my boss to do that. After all, going for meetings and doing my job were part of my responsibilities. However, this gesture at least made me feel appreciated for the hard work I have put in and not being taken for granted. This has also motivated me to work harder and really sweat it out for my boss.

No comments: