September 19, 2006

Stronger

Some of my friends who have known me for a couple of years will realise that recently it seems like I have packed my weekends with activities and people to meet. Many may have associated this to my recent change in job, while others may think I want a change in life. Well, they are partly right but not totally.

It is true that with this new job, for the time being allows me to have more personal time. Do not get me wrong, this does not mean that I can now knock off on time. On the contrary, my knocking off time is still similar to before, around 7 plus on average and on some days stretching to 8 or even after 9. However, once I knock off, I am really off work. I DO NOT bring work home. On weekends, it is really my own time. No longer do I need to read papers, write minutes or prepare statements over weekends. Hence, I have more time and energy to spend with my family and friends.

The main reason for having more time for my friends these days is linked to what happened last year. Many things happened at home last year which required both my time and attention.

My "go-home khakis" would share with you how I would need to go off on time. I would chide them and show my impatience if I needed to wait for them for more than 5 minutes. Time was very precious to me then. I needed to reach home early to have dinner early, so that I can wash up early and do other household chores, like wash clothes, iron clothes, etc. Then on weekends, it is running errands, like buy groceries, more household chores and prepare lunch and dinner. One of us, either my sister or I, had to be in the house at any point in time. Hence, we had to take turns. There was no energy nor time left for my friends who unfortunately had to take a back seat.

Am I now complaining? Nope.

Although I do not wish for the same incident which happened last year to happen again, I am actually glad for having the opportunity to learn how to take care of myself and my family. It made me a stronger and more independent person. I can now do most of the household chores, including cooking, though I have to admit that period was a stressful and dark period.

The 'side-effect' is that I be become more 'auntie' now as I can easily shop at NTUC and tell you which brands you should buy for some household appliances. ;-p

3 comments:

~TomMich~ said...

Sometimes, spending time with family would create stronger bonds, but friends are important too....Don't worry, I think u are doing fine balancing work, family and frens... :)

MaoMaoMum said...

贤妻良母形噢~
不错!不错!

SJ said...

Hmm, I think it is not easy balancing everything. Thanks for your flattering, Cecilia, I am not that great yet.