Although the 3 of them were my excolleagues, I knew them for different lengths of time and in different manners.
I knew Mich since I first joined. She was in the adjacent cubicle. We started to get to know each other better about half a year after I joined when we would have our morning “chi chat” at my cubicle with 2 other colleagues – my neighbour in the same cubicle and another neighbour from the other adjacent cubicle. Later, we hit it off better when we shared the same views for work and even switched to another unit together.
I knew WK when I first joined as well. At that time, we were mere acquaintances. We have only got on better when I was the finance support for a project which he was leading. Thereafter, we had more opportunities to work together when he became the House Chairperson for the Club. Since I knew him, his average “lateness” would be 15 min. Whenever I called him and if he said he was already on his way, this translated to another 15 to 30 min wait. Sigh!
I knew PH when I first helped out at a charity stall selling bears. He was then a newcomer to the company and was with another colleague whom I knew. I was approaching them to buy a bear for charity and he bought it. We knew each other better when he dropped by our department quite often subsequently for his job assignment.
We went to Robertson Quay for Japanese food for the night. Fortunately, it was not buffet (I was quite worried initially that it would be another buffet as I think WK has a penchant for buffets). It was a big bento set for each of us with a kaminabe (paper steamboat) and agedashi tofu to share. The salmon sashimi was cut in very thick and fatty slices. However, thought the maguro on the bento set was better.
As usual, we passed over the food which we cannot finish to WK as he is well-known for his very healthy appetite. He had previously finished off 2 packets of noodles which he initially bought for us when we had to go to office to work on a Saturday. When he first offered the noodles, we were being Asian polite and told him we already had our meals. Then we became busy with something else. By the time, we were back, he had already finished the noodles. Isn’t that very healthy appetite indeed?
We next adjourned to TCC for coffee. They have initially wanted Coffee Club, but I vehemently object as I just came from Coffee Club in the afternoon. Glad that we went TCC, because we got to try the “cane swings” (look to the photo, you will see the cane swings they are sitting in). Although it looked fun to sit in, it was quite difficult to drink anything in, because you would need to keep exerting force to move towards the table. Fortunately, they found a table for 4 soon after and we could have our coffee in a more normal sitting arrangement.
I had the chamomile tea again. I guess at the rate I am going, I probably would have tried many different chamomile teas – Andersen’s (I had a cough then and could not take the ice-cream), PS Café, Tea loft (or something, the antique shop where you can have tea in Plaza Singapura) and now TCC. My personal preference is still the PS Café, because it was the most fragrant.
It was meant to be a night of catch-up, but we did not really achieve the aim. As usual, much of the time was spent on suaning each other.
All the best to Mich, WK and PH! Perhaps we should have such gatherings occasionally, maybe once in every quarter or something? ;-p

No comments:
Post a Comment