September 16, 2008

Change of Taste?

Everyone goes through different phases in life. We fall in love with certain things at one point and fall out of love at another time. It applies to all things - hobbies, fashion, music and even books. I used to like books on philosophy. Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World has kept me hooked for a long time with provoking questions like "Who am I?" and "What am I?".

Sophie's World is almost like a Pandora's Box which invoked my curiosity and interest on philosophy. Yet, it also resulted in puzzlement and apprehension when I could not fully comprehend the ideas that the author is trying to convey. I have subsequently read Jostein Gaarder's other books, such as The Solitaire Mystery. Yet, none left as deep impression as Sophie's World.

Years later, I tried to read Maya which is also by Jostein Gaarder. Philosophy no longer keeps me as captivated as before. In fact, I have much difficulties trying to follow the flow of ideas. I understand the meanings of the words on their own but when they are stringed together into sentences and paragraphs, the meanings eluded me. It is so difficult that I finally decide to give up as somewhere along the paragraphs, I have already lost the flow of the story.

Can this be a change in taste? A taste in reading... ...

No comments: