June 16, 2009

Warmth in the Office

This is not a complaint of the erratic aircon system in our office. Neither is this a complaint of the global warming issue. It was the warmth in my heart.

My neighbouring colleague was, among my team, the closest colleague whom I often shared some of our complaints about life, our holiday dreams and work frustrations. She was aware of the latest two arrows that I had received. They were not small arrows like the past. They were arrows in addition to my current expanding portfolio and in this peak time when we were swarmed by the annual costing exercise. These arrows were tasks of another colleague who seemed to be experiencing some personal crisis.

Just as I felt that the coming months look bleak with the mountains of work and the long hours ahead, she 'pinged' me over Sametime (the only IM allowed intra-office). She asked me how I was coping. Well, you could describe me as a person with nonchalant appearance but with a soppy heart. When I received the message, I nearly broke down and cried, especially after all the late nights and the rushing from meetings to meetings during office hours.

Without intending to, I launched into my difficulties and fears. As usual, my neighbour was sympathetic. Her encouragement left me feeling I was not alone in this battle. Moreover, she not only offered a listening ear, she even offered especially when she had more experience than me in some of the things that I would be doing.

Without supportive colleagues, I was unsure how I would be able to survive through some of the challenges that I went through and would be going through.

No comments: