June 19, 2009

Cute Cupcakes

I heard so much about cupcakes and its craze in Singapore. What drove its popularity was simply beyond me?

Cupcakes, as the name suggested, was a miniature cake in the size of a cup. It had become increasingly popular over the past 2 years with many people taking up baking courses to learn how to make it. There were increasingly more confectioneries selling cupcakes. From the look of it, cupcakes seemed similar to a muffin. Muffins were not exactly my favourite pastries as most muffins I had tasted were either too crumbly, too dry or too hard. Moreover, most of them were either buttery or chocolaty for my liking, since I was a fan of neither.

The fad of cupcakes had spread to baby showers' pastries which were often distributed to colleagues who chipped in for a gift to new born babies. When I first saw the cupcakes, I noted that they looked adorable with each taking a unique design.

When I took a bite, I immediately felt sugar rush with its high glucose level. There was a thick layer of fluffy cream that reminded me of cotton candy before I reached the chiffon cake layer. It tasted ok for a small cup but I was quite unsure if I would like it if I consumed more.

Now, I think I will stick to my usual ice-creams and traditional cakes if I need a dessert fix any time.

No comments: