May 10, 2009

Swimming with My Mum

My mum does not know how to swim. Not only does she not know how to swim, she also has a phobia of water. She dares not submerge her head under water. She fears the quietness in the water. Hence, persuading her to go for a swim is next to impossible.

Me: “It is hot now. Let’s go for a swim to cool down.
My mum: “It is so hot that I will be burnt and develop pigmentation.

Let’s try another tactic.
Me: “The sun has set, so no more sun to damage you skin.
My mum: “Now it is very crowded. People will laugh at me when they see me in the pool hanging on to the side of the pool for my dear life.

Failed again.
Me: “The sun has not risen up high enough, so the sun is not damaging. Now not a lot of people too so no one will laugh at you.
My mum: “Grr, but it is so cold. I may catch a cold when I go.

There are simply hundred and one reasons why she should not go for a swim. I never even know that there are so many things to be considered when deciding whether we should swim or not.

Finally, after much coercion, she relented. To ‘treat’ her fear of water entering into her ears, we have prepared swimming caps. To address her concern of a damaging sun, we opted to go in the late afternoon where it seems not to be crowded.

Her nervousness started the minute she hit the water. Her exclamations filled the pool.

Oh gosh, the water is sweeping me away.
Oh, I cannot walk in the pool.
(She had to do that to reach the Jacuzzi section.)
The water seemed to stop me from breathing.
Look, the people are laughing at me.
I don’t know why I fear water so much. I am so useless.


Mum, you are not useless. Everyone has an Achilles’ heels. It just so happens that your Achilles’ heels lie in the water. I am proud of you that despite your fear, you are still willing to take steps to conquer it. Notwithstanding your insecurity the moment you hit water, you still put on a brave front and urge us to go swimming on our own. Of course, we have to watch over you even with your assurances.

Mum, Happy Mother’s Day.

No comments: