June 21, 2008

Sentosa Beach Volleyball


Here comes Ms Country Bumpkin again. I have seen the hunks and the babes playing beach vollyball. Erm, on TV. In reality, up close and personal, no. The new monorail in Sentosa? Well, I have heard about them and how one of two of the stations have to close down because of IR construction. I know that there is a station right at VivoCity. That's about all I know about the monorail as the few times I have been to Sentosa, I was taking transport (ie chartered buses).

The monorail is small but compact. It is crowded on a Sat afternoon with many youngsters rushing to Sentosa to enjoy the sea, the sand and the sun. There are also many families going to Sentosa for quality time spent together. Well, Sentosa is now full of activities and things to do with the sky trains, the luge rides, the Imbiah walks and even Cafe Del Mar (the IT bar to go to in town). Finally, I have a glimpse of it (as well as the hunks lying on the beach chairs sipping their drinks) *Wink*

Just beside Cafe Del Mar, there is a public court for the beach volleyball lovers. Once you are in that court, do not move out of it as there are many groups hovering around it waiting for their chance to 'jump' into the court. Despite having no courts, smally groups of people lined along the beach to do their 'dribbling' of volleyball. I know dribbling only applies to basketball. I do not know what is the appropriate word to describe routines for volleyball. If you know, let me know.

I sat with my colleague (we become better friends after being room-mates for the KL trip) while she admired her boyfriend and we chit chat with each other. After a while, her boyfriend encouraged us to play on our own. I was quite apprehensive, especially with my long and frequent history of accidents with the ball. I get hit by ball more often that I hit the ball (resulting in a myriad of injury from damaged specs to sprained fingers). Nevertheless, I thought since I was there, I might as well give it a try. Well, all I can say is I am still equally ill-fated with balls.

It was a rather languid way of spending a Saturday afternoon - basking in the sun and watching the volleyball games. Yet, I still feel this is not exactly my thing. Given a choice, I would prefer to sit in a cafe and read instead. It is abit awkward to be reading on the beach instead of getting into the thick of the action. It gets abit boring as well. Yet, I know my limits. Balls are definitely out for me if I want to protect myself from any potential injury. The only other thing I can do is perhaps to stroll along the beach. However, this requires a right party who is willing to walk that stretch of white sand with me. And I am still waiting.

No comments: