June 02, 2008

Looking Though the Lens

The digital camera is ubiquitous. I celebrate the advent of the digital photography age when we can take and view photos anytime and anywhere. For photos which are not well-taken, we can do editing or retake immediately. Many of the digital cameras even come equipped with a digital video function so that we do not miss out certain important actions in our lives.

Yet, the familiarity with digital camera can inadvertently led us to habitually experience our lives through the lens instead of with our eyes. How often do we practically switch on our camera and scan the sceneries constantly through the camera when we sight see? How often do we attempt to capture certain events on the digital media for future keepsake that we forget our claps and smiles? What we remember are not the blueness of the skies, the freshness of the air or the hilarity of our actions. What we remember are instead whether the flash light is on, whether the red-eye corrector is on, or even whether our hands are shaking when we press the shuttle release. We are gradually viewing all things through the digital camera lens.

It is no doubt a dilemma. Much as we would like to see and experience all the wonders of the moment, we also greedily want to capture the moments so that we can relive the emotions subsequently. Hence, we become increasingly reliant on our cameras, flashing it at each and every opportunity so much so that we forget to enjoy the moment for itself.

This was most hard-felt when I was attending the Angela Chang's concert. This was a concert which allowed cameras to be brought in. Many started taking photos at different moments in the concert. I never brought my camera but I had a camera phone. Spurred on by the kiasu syndrome, I also started to take photos using my camera phone which proved to be rather difficult given the distance I was from the stage and the lighting on the stage. Hence, I was constantly fustrated with the effects of the photos which were often blurred (from too far and the lower resolution of my phone camera) and too white (from the overexposure of light but I could not rectified as camera phone had fewer functions than a full-fledged camera).

To a point in time, I realised I was more concerned about taking photos than truly immersing myself in the performance. This was when I decided to ditch my phone camera and began to enjoy the show through my naked eyes instead. That was when I could fully appreciate the ambience, luxuriate in the soulful singing and be stunned by the kaleidoscopic colourful light and costumes on stage.

Much as we would like to record certain moments, we should not let that overtake our living.

No comments: