December 20, 2007

Famous Soba Eatery

It was not just one, but two of my colleagues who had commended on the superb soba of Shokado. Despite passing the eatery many times en-route to other eateries and watching the adept skills of the Soba chefs kneading the flour dough, I have never once stepped into the restauran.

So I dragged Ah Peng to try the soba with me. I filled with anticipation on how good the soba would be. We ordered one of the chef’s recommended sets which consisted of a warm soba, teriyaki chicken, salmon sashimi and fish cutlets. It certainly looked appetising. As I took a bite of the soba, it was springy but too thin for one to taste the buckwheat. Moreover, the soya-based soup was too salty for my preference. The honeyed-chicken was too sticky and sweet. The teriyaki sauce on the fish cutlet was also too salty. The only item which was good was the fresh salmon which whetted my palette for more but unfortunately, it led to disappointment with the soba, chicken and fish cutlet.

For the price of the set, it is not attractive enough for me to want to pay a second visit to the restaurant.

Maybe because I have often been more of a ramen or udon person than soba, and not quite taken to the taste of buckwheat, I cannot exactly recall which other place serves good soba. The udon which I like best is Sushi Tei’s Nabeyaki Udon. Waraku’s udon is also good.

What about you? Have you tasted any good udon, ramen or soba recently? Perhaps you can share with us your favourites so that we have some alternatives the next time we crave for some Japanese noodles.

No comments: