Recently, I suddenly feel a sense of righteousness to fight for our rights as a consumer or as a member of the public.
I have always been rather laid-back when my rights are being infringed. I may be setthing with anger but will just channel all my grumbles informally to my friends. I harbour the secret hope that someone who has also suffered the injustice as me will help address the 'wrongs'. This blase attitude may be prevalent and reflective of a large group of people. Singaporeans, or maybe Asians, generally are more passive and less likely to volunteer than be volunteered.
Recently, I became tired of waiting and wishing that a service which is far from satisfactory will miraculously improve by itself. Being a consumer and a member of the public, I believe I have the responsibility of making known to the service provider that there is room for improvement. We cannot blame the service provider for their errors until they are made aware of the preferences of the receipients. In addition, once the service level is improved, it will benefit many other people. In an indirect way, we are also helping Singapore taking a tiny step towards greater service.
I am also inspired by a neighbour whom I have never spoken to. I may be over presumptous of what I observe on numerous occasions. He is an uncle probably around the age of 50. He is always armed with a camera. When he spots a dying tree or a damaged roof of the bus-stop, he will stop by and take photos. He may just be taking photos. However, after a day or two, there will be engineers from LTA who visit the bus-stop to repair the roof. I have linked one to one and believed that this could be due to his sending the damaged roof photos to LTA. It does not take a lot but possibly only about 15 minutes of our time to inform the relevant parties.
Hence, I think it is time I start doing something for my environment and the service I receive. I have a responsibility towards making the place I live in better instead of just complaining without any constructive action. Instead waiting for someone else to inform the relevant authorities or the service providers, I should also do my part. Are you with me?
2 comments:
there was an article abt an uncle sending email to respective town councils to take action on tings he felt they shd take action to rectify... if nothing was done after 3 days, he'll send the same email to them PLUS cc MP... after tat, rectification works commence... n he prefers to be anonymous... will u be like him?
wc
I think I am not as 'altruistic?' as him to spend so much of effort and time on this. I will probably do this on a 'by-the-way' basis. However, I still feel I should do more. Perhaps if one day, I really feel so strongly about doing more for the community, joining the grassroots may an option so that I can really play a part in improving our estate and environment?
Post a Comment