January 29, 2007

Work - Play Balance

I was stuck in a full-day discussion with my line manager today. It was meant to be a continuation from yesterday.

When it was close to lunch hour, he asked me to join him and his team, many of whom I have already worked with, for lunch. We have ventured to Xing Wan Café at Cineleisure. This was the first time I have been to the Café as it was usually crowded on weekends. Under their recommendation, I have decided to try the Chicken chop which was supposed to be quite good.

They were a rowdy and funny bunch with lots of jokes and harmless gossips of one another, like which were the prettier colleagues that they have spotted, the schools and their previous ECAs. This was when I found out that the line manager whom I have worked with on this recent project was my senior. What a small world! I realised that they worked hard and they played hard as well. I have enjoyed the lunch tremendously and all my worries were temporarily cast aside.

After lunch, we went back for more spreadsheet work and simulation. When it was about 3 plus, my line manager seeing my intense concentration again nudged me out of my analysis and asked me to go for coffee. Despite my repeated refusal that it would be more efficient for me to finish the entire analysis, he finally convinced me that we would be more efficient after a short break.

He was right. We worked better thereafter. Notwithstanding the race against time, the short breaks helped reduce the tension and made this rush less painful and dull.

No comments: