January 07, 2007

2 Gentlemanly Acts

Act 1

I was being wilful and should have been more appreciative.

Mr Lau has set aside time to meet us and even gotten a birthday gift. He is usually very busy and it is difficult to hear from him, much less see him. The gift was a cute blue Forever Friends cushion. I should have just graciously accept the gift and bring it home. Yet, I did not.

I told him to pass it to me another day because I was attending a wedding dinner that night. It looked funny if I were to carry it to the wedding dinner with me. He obliged and even offered to carry it for me when we adjourned from Coffee Club to the foodcourt. Despite his kindness, I even 'suaned' him that the sun must be rising from the west for his kindness. Oops! Actually, it was indeed meant to be only 'suaning' because he is usually kind and gentlemanly.

I seemed to take an old friend for granted.


Act 2
I took things for granted again the same night.

After the dinner, WK offered to send me home. Perhaps you would think that this is not worthy of any mention because it was a normal expectation of a gentleman. However, please note that WK lives in the west while I live in the north, so the way to my home is definitely not along the way. He has to specially make a detour to send me home. Moreover, he offered this without my asking or hinting (which I usually do and which he usually complains and refuses).

On the way home, he still has to subject himself to my 'suaning'. Although there was a third person in the car, the whole car was filled with both WK's and my bantering. At one point, he nearly could not bear my suaning anymore and threatened to drop me off the expressway. A pity PH was not around, or the car would definitely be rowdier and there would be an ally on my side (hopefully).

Just as WK commented that he missed the fun which we, together with PH, used to have at work, I realised that I shared the same sentiments with him. Well, this is definitely an aspect I miss most from leaving my previous workplace. It is hard to find someone at work who shares the same frequency (note: only same frequency but certainly different working style) as you and with whom you can talk rubbish to. I can even 'highlight' to him about the cheap price of live prawns at the new NTUC hypermart, though this actually drew immediate 'insults' from him about my being 'auntie-ish'.

Anyway, to clarify and set the records straight, WK is a gentleman most of the time, except when he is bickering with me. =p

No comments: