January 21, 2007

Girls' Talks

I met up with 3 groups of girls friends over this weekend. It started with meeting the musketeers – Ms Chan and Ah Peng on Friday night, my uni girls on Saturday afternoon and finally my sec school buddies on Saturday evening. It was a merry, rowdy, gossipy and of course, endearing way to spend a weekend. Coincidentally, I have Japanese food with them consecutively. Think I will steer away from Japanese food for the time being.

Musketeers
It was our monthly gathering again. However, we have not seen each other as a group for almost 2 months where we were either busy with work or vacations in December.

As usual, I was late as I was attending a colleague’s father’s wake before joining Ms Chan and Ah Peng. I was further held back because Ah Peng, being not quite familiar with Plaza Singapura area has confirmed a wrong location with me.

We started off with a quick updates of each other’s development, especially about Ms Chan and Ah Peng’s recent Taiwan’s vacation. Ms Chan was showing off the boots that she bought from Taiwan. Ah Peng and I were marveling at her courage for wearing the boots to an external meeting. To me, external meeting often means pant suit.

It has been ages since we last met so there was a lot of talk about, from work challenges, to style faux pas and to new drama serials. When Sakae Sushi was closing, we adjourned to another place for beverage and more talking. At 15 past 11, I surrendered and told them we need to call it a day as my yawns became more and more frequent.

Think next gathering will be in CNY period at my house. My house is the only house which the musketeers have not visited before. :-p

Uni Girls
It was almost half a year ago since I last saw them, as I have missed out their December gathering because of work commitments. There was so much updates and news bombarding around. It was not a full turn-up as one of them was having fever and another was already in US.

There were 6 of us. Our little girl has finally quit her job after close to 5 years and her last day would be next week. We were happy for her. She also looked more relaxed than before. Another has decided to take no-pay leave with effect from July to pursue her postgrad studies. Another has started temping after her postgrad studies and before she found her ideal job. Our pillar was serious about coming to some decision about her career by this year as she has deliberated over several options for some time already. Finally, the girl who has shared the same birthday as me has had a change in portfolio and was thinking about starting a family.

A few of us were particularly interested in postgrad studies. In fact, I have also been toying this idea for about a year. After working for a while, one longs to be mentally stimulated again. However, I have yet to have to courage to ‘take the plunge’, ie quit my job and pursue it full-time. Currently, there were simply too many other considerations. We were also busy getting tips from the friend who has just completed her MBA, like which school is good, passing GMAT, lessons’ pace, etc. There was also a piece of good news which she has shared – if one has obtained at least a second upper honours from the Bachelor’s degree, one can skip GMAT. Wow, if this is true, it will definitely be very good news.

Our pillar has recommended us a touching movie about the deep friendship of a group of girl friends. We are all supposed to circulate the VCD around, watch the show and pen down our thoughts and feelings. We will then compile these thoughts and feelings into a book as a wedding gift for the girl who is now in US.

So much changes within 6 months, so much to say, yet so little time. Some of the girls have actually needed to rush off back to work, meet other friends and attend church service.

We have parted with promises to gather for CNY for our traditional reunion dinner.

Sec School / JC Buddies
We are more of sec school buddies which are ‘carried forward’ to JC. Again, it was not a full turn-up as one of them has to attend marriage counseling. Nevertheless, we were again excited by the news of SM which was definitely the highlight and topic of the night.

Hui and I literally turned into ‘aunties’ when we heard about SM’s news, giving out our point of views on how she could handle the situation. The group of us was helping her analyse the situation and each giving our view and suggestion. I hope we have helped her instead of do her in with our non-professional suggestions.

We were also sharing about plans for the coming year – Hui’s marriage’s plans, Jen’s job search, Ah Koh’s health and career plans and SM’s trekking plans. We have exchanged updates on the latest development of individual’s friends who were not within this clique. We even branched into some gossips of our past school mates – like who’s who is in which company and who’s who is going out with who’s who.

We parted with more concrete plans for CNY. We are going to have a steamboat dinner at Hui’s house. =p

No comments: