December 03, 2006

Peace

In war, no one is a winner, regardless of whether you have managed to protect or extend your interests.

This was a strong message brought across in "A Battle of Wits". In summary, "A Battle of Wits" is about wars between a big and a small country. Ge Li helped the small country put up a strong defence. However, his success and the trust and respect which he has garnered from the people attracted unwarranted jealousy from the King of the country. His opponent decided to put up a last fight which has resulted in more deaths among the people. The opponent opined that whoever lived to see the next day is the winner. Yet, Ge Li felt that many innocent lives were taken when they became the pawns of the generals. In war, no one is a winner. If peace has ensued, no one needs to die.

Sometimes I felt that people in the current era and generation seem to have a better life. To some extent, we seem to take peace for granted at times. The biggest takeaway from the movie is that there is a high price to pay when we go into wars.

P.S. Fortunately, this time round the dialogues are in simpler Chinese which I still can understand. This time, I watched it at GV North Point. Frankly speaking, I have not been to North Point since it first opened many years ago. *Wink*

No comments: