December 09, 2006

Hui

She has seen me cry and vice versa.
She will be totally frank with me about my shortcomings and chide me when she thinks I am in the wrong.
She will stand by me when she knows I am in trouble, including dishing me advice on how to fight office politics and providing references to each other in job applications.
*Wink*

Although we have been in the same school for 6 years, Hui and I have never been in the same class. We knew each other because we were friends of friends. We started to hang around each other more during JC days. We were the early birds and our classrooms were beside each other, so we have spent many mornings chit chatting to each other. That was when friendship between us strengthened.

Hui called me when she was undecided about which faculty she should enroll herself in. She called me again when she was undecided on whether she should switch firms. I could not give her the answers. I could only help her rationalize the answers which she should already have. Similarly, I have consulted her when I was undecided on whether I wanted to change job. Both she and Onion (her husband) visited me and spent half a day helping me decide.

Once, to spring a surprise on me on my birthday, she and Jen have even visited me late at night just to send her birthday wishes to me.

Many friends have gradually reduced their time spent with the clique when they became attached. On the contrary, Hui invited Onion to join us in our outings, so that Onion could know all her friends and vice versa. Simultaneously, she could spend time both with Onion and us – killing two birds with one stone. We did not lose a friend when she became attached, but we gained another friend (Onion) in the process.

In fact, Onion is the only husband/boyfriend among my friends which has become another old friend, instead of just the partner of a friend. Sad to say, for some of my oldest friends, I have only met their husbands/ boyfriends only on a couple of occasions. Other than some demographic (eg age, profession, name, etc) facts, I know next to nothing about them.

Whereas for Onion. I can be perfectly open in front of him, just like I have been with Hui. He has joined Hui in hearing about my complaints and my lackluster singing. He has joined Hui previously in rallying for me when I have finally decided to change job. He tried to stifle giggles when I went out of tune at Kbox.

Hui has stood by me for so many years and I hope I can reciprocate this support in the future years.

Thank you, Hui.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light."

You are my charcoal juan. ;)

SJ said...

Sounds really chim and philosophical, Hui. Remember, we have a promise to sit together in our rocking chairs to reminisce about the past.

Anonymous said...

Of course I remember! ;)