December 30, 2006

Hypermart

Recently, there are many hypermarts sprouting out in many parts of Singapore, from VivoCity at Harbourfront, Ikea and Courts at Tampines to the latest member – NTUC Hypermart at Ang Mo Kio.

I joined the crowd today at the new NTUC. It is indeed huge with everything under the same roof, from the normal groceries which we have seen in other outlets, cooked food (peppered roasted chicken and sushi) to electrical appliances (including LCD TV, washing machines, irons) and apparels (men’s short sleeve shirts).

I was naturally attracted to the food section. The variety offered is simply amazing. Mushrooms offered range from the smallest Endoki to the largest Portobello. Crabs offered include the normally-seen flower crabs and Sri Lanka crabs to the seasonal hairy crabs. There is even a live seafood (live prawns and fish) section. (Some of my friends are going to "tsk tsk" me for being such an auntie when they see this.)

Despite its size, it was still packed with people. Many seemed to have traveled far from other parts of Singapore to participate in opening of one of Singapore’s most familiar names.

I am pretty excited about this latest mall as it is a stone throw from my home which means I can do most of the shopping here in future instead of going to town. Hurray!

No comments: