October 26, 2008

Sampling at Supermarkets

What I have enjoyed most about the Japanese supermarkets are the ample samples available for patrons to try before buying. This greatly reduces the risk for consumers for many times, we are lured by appearances into buying something which are unpalatable. Not only is this a waste of food, it is also a waste of money.

I was very excited when I shopped at the basement of Takashimaya with its many counters offering a variety of snacks. From Hokkaido specialties, such as fish cake and ice-cream puffs to the French macaroons, you can have a small bite which either entices you to buy or put you off the food totally.

Alright, you may think it is embarrassing to try and not buy, I hold an entirely different view. When you try, you either like it or dislike it. When you dislike it, then you should not buy or it will defeat the purpose of sampling. Nonetheless, you cannot be greedy and hope to eat a feast at these supermarkets.

It is also a great 'advertising' tactic. Many risk averse consumers will stick to things or brands that they are familiar with. Only when they are convinced that a different choice is better will they switch. Some companies do this via word of mouth while some do this with sampling. Once I try for myself and can experience the benefits or great taste, although I may not eat it now, I will certainly try it in future.

No comments: