October 13, 2008

Buried in the Sea of People

I have never worked in the CBD - the stretch from Tanjong Pagar to Raffles Place. I will only go to these places for course or meeting consultants / vendors. After getting used to the more laid-back area such as Jurong East and Orchard (on weekdays), I nearly drowned in the sea of people when I was at Raffles Place MRT station in the peak hours to attend course.

I was already confronted by hordes of people once I was out of the train and waiting to reach the gantry via the escalator. I was surrounded by people where each of us was probably separated by a strand of hair. My heart nearly went into hyperventilation for the lack of air. I was literally being pushed forward by the people surrounding me. Glancing up, the escalator was COMPLETELY overflowing with people.

The nightmare was only beginning.

The same crowd gathered in front of the gantries waiting to get out of the train station. At this time, you prayed hard that your EZ Link card worked well and allowed you a smooth passage through the gates. Any delay in your passing through the gates could only result in two consequences - either you were stampeded by the crowd behind you or you suffered the impatient "tsk" and stares from the people.

The worst was yet to be over.

The escalator leading from the train station to above ground was equally thronged with people. Another round of jostling and pushing ensued. Everyone was desperately trying to get out of the train station and be in office in "Olympic-record" time. I thought I was already not a slow walker. Here, I was relegated to a 'tortoise' speed relative to the ladies in killer heels and the gentlemen in crisp shirt and ties. They literally zoomed past me. I better gathered my speed in order not to be a road hogger, or worse, a road block.

Finally, I was out in the open air. Although it was not as squeezy as before, the race to the office continued. Many of them carried their bags in one hand and a cup of coffee in another with the papers pressed under their armpits, they could still move along in top speed without dropping anything or spilling a drop of their coffee. Moreover, not a strand of hair was out of place or a bad of sweat was seen. Suddenly, I felt very out of place and frumpy walking alongside these super-power gentlemen and ladies.

Boy, was I glad when I finally reached my learning centre - a rather dilapidated building squeezed between two skyscrapers - OCBC Centre and One George Street. The fight for the morning had ended. I was sure more battling with the office crowd would continue during lunch and on the way home. For once, I was so glad my office was in the more relaxed area of Somerset. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha.. was it tat bad? I tink I am oredi immune to the squueze... i tink wen i move to novena, it will get some time to get used to.

HP

SJ said...

I think it is easier to get used to a slower pace than a faster one.