We took a part of the mixture out and added water until the mixture reached a thick and even consistency. Then the mixture would be poured onto a preheat pan and fried until the surfaced turned slightly brown and the inside was cooked. We tried testing this by sticking a toothpick into the pancake to determine if there was any mixture on the toothpick as we pulled out.
November 01, 2009
Making Pancakes
Truly inspired by Julie and Julia, I decided to try my hands on cooking. Well, I am not as ambitious as Julie who aspired to stir up a storm in the kitchen with the 542 recipes of Julia Child. I am truly aware of limits and is a staunch upholder of the concept of professionalism, ie not everyone can be good in everything. Certain things are best left in the hands of the expert.
Having set relatively low threshold as a starting point, I decided to try making pancakes from off-the-shelf premixed packet. Again, it was because I believed in the experts and also to build up confidence. If the food producers can sell those packet premixed pancakes successfully, the recipes had to be well-tested. Gaining confidence in everything we did would be a good way to start.
We did not have a stencil to contain the outflow of the mixture on a large pan. Instead of making a few of the small pancakes, we made a big one instead. It was a concerted effort with my mum and sis. My sis and I did the mixture while my mum fried the pancake. Similarly, it was a concerted effort to eat it as well. Despite the not so good looking pancake, it still delicious. With our confidence in the pancake, we could have pancake as breakfast in future. This will be a good alternative to the defaulted choice of bread.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment