November 16, 2009

Deception Point

I have been waiting for this book for a long time. In case you are wondering if this is a newly launched book and I was one of those die-hard fans who will order online at the first available opportunity and cannot wait for Amazon to ship over. Sorry to disappoint you. I may be an avid reader but I am way past the age where I will break a leg to attain something. I guess age does mellow people down.

Secondly, although I am not an environmental activist, I do believe strongly in doing my part to save our ailing earth and to prevent the deterioration of global warming. As much as possible, I try not to buy any book. If I want to read something, I will just go over to the library and borrow. I have never had the habit of re-reading a book no matter how much I have enjoyed it in the first place. Maybe I am consumed by novelty and suspense. once, I know how the story will end, it kills the joy of reading immediately.

Deception Point is a Science Fiction cum Mystery fiction by the famous Dan Brown who had raised general awareness of the Musee de Lourve in its Da Vinci Code. If you are familiar with Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and perhaps even the Lost Symbol, you may be lured into the perception that he is only capable of denouncing religions. It is indeed a pleasant surprise when I read Deception Point.

There were no more churches, museums or some symbols. There was only scientists, the Arctic and a meteorite. Similarly, there are powerful figures all having a hand in one of the greatest deception. The question was who was the power house behind this mastermind. What was the purpose of engineering this deception to the whole world of a meteorite which had fossils? Was this a real meteorite? If it was not real, why was the composition different from that of normal earth rocks? If it were not real, what were the insect like fossils?

It ws hard to imagine that all the suspense, the investigation and the fight to survive the killers close to the scientists' heels occured within 48 hours. Dan Brown could often capture alot of details for a storyline that took place within a week. With the fast-paced development, our heart seemed to beat faster with each narrow escape of the protagonists. If you are concerned that science theories were too mind boggling, rest assured that the theories were explained in relatively simple terms. For just like his other books, one of the protagonists was often a non-expert. In order to help this non-expert understand the concept to be able to participate in the fight against treachery, the theories often were conveyed in layman's terms.

If you are tired of chick lit, or would like to try a different subject matter, Deception Point should not disappoint.

No comments: