November 07, 2009

2 Books by Paulo Coelho

I have read 2 new books by Paulo Coelho recently. Paulo Coelho seemed to be my favourite author of the year. One of the books left me with many question marks on what the author was trying to convey and the other left me many question marks on life.

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept was meant to be a celebration of love - but I was puzzled by the development of the plot and the conclusion. It was one of the hardest book I have read so far. After finishing the book, I was still very baffled by what the author was tyring to emphasise. Was it simply a love story? Or was there some hidden morale that I was blind to?

The Zahir was a book where the plot was simpler to follow with a husband's search for a missing wife. As he progressed in his search, he became more aware of his own dreams, his own weaknesses and how to love. Page after page, through the encounters and character development of this husband, I was also shown to various important life maxims. Strangely, these advices were very fundamental and logical but we often never thought of them at all. Just like many of his other books, The Zahir served as a wake-up call for me to reassess my priorities in life.

No comments: