October 10, 2009

5M Population

It seems only a while ago when the Statistics Department announced that the Singapore population had reached the 4M mark. At that time, I was very concerned how the Singapore public infrastructure could take such a high population. This was especially when I felt like the Singapore trains and buses seemed to be bursting at the seams during the peak hour.

Now, apparently Singapore population has hit the 5M mark. 5M! No wonder, now even during offpeak hours, I could also feel the next person the train severely encroaching on my personal space. When I take the train daily, I feel more and more jittery each day as I take the 30 min journey to work. During the flu season, I feel like I am gambling my health on each of these 30 minute journey.

When H1N1 hit Singapore mid of this year, I thought the safer precaution would be to avoid taking the train totally. With everyone breathing down everyone's neck on the train, the probability of not getting H1N1 might be lower than winning 4D.

I wondered if the speed of the infrastructure upgrade and expansion would ever match to the population growth. In addition, will there be any stop to this population growth?

No comments: