I met WK online while I was working at home during my MC. When he heard that I was down with flu, he asked if he should bring chicken soup down. Being ultra-thick-skinned, I unabashedly replied in the affirmative. He might not have expected such a response from me and immediately backed off saying that he would not be able to make it. Yet, he had chivalrously suggested we meet for lunch instead the following day.
I was abit apprehensive. Although he drove, his office was not quite a stone's throw away from my office. Moreover, I worked in the city area where many would frown just thinking about the jams and the ERP gantries. Hence, even 10 minutes before lunch, I was still wondering if he was pulling a joke on me. I nearly wanted to just join my colleagues for lunch until I received his SMS.
We drove. Correction. He drove us to Newton hawker where he recommended a fish soup bee hoon which was supposed to be good comfort food for someone who was recovering from illness. Although it was refreshing to venture out of Orchard for lunch, the lunch was an enjoyable one more for the company. It was good to be eating with a familiar excolleague who could probably take my bluntness in good jest (or was this too presumptuous on my part?) . It was good catching up with the happenings to this old friend (feeling slightly guilty for his kindness while I hardly take any initiative to keep more regular contact). Despite having not seen him for more than a year, there did not seem to be any awkwardness.
Nevertheless, happy times flew past. It was time to head back to office for meeting. I was glad that he still remained as cheerful and positive as ever. Keep going, WK!
No comments:
Post a Comment