October 18, 2007

High Class Japanese Cuisines

It was a celebratory lunch for the completion of a project which was held at an authentic Japanese restaurant at a restaurant near the office. I have never known that there is such a hideout along Devonshire Road - Yoshida Sushi. The little waterfall at the entrance of the restaurant welcomed us while the cheerful “Irashyaimase” (welcome) from the Chef and the waitress greeted us.

There were set menus which were served with an onsen tamago (hotspring egg), a fish soup and fruits. There were also ala carte. We opted for the set. I had the shirayaki unagi (grilled eel) which was plain unagi without the teriyaki sauce – a welcoming change. It was the first time that I had onsen tamago. In other Japanese restaurants, usually the chawanmushi would be served instead. It was a soft poached egg served in shoyu (light soy sauce) and a little wasabi. It was so soft that we all drank the egg down instead of eating it with a spoon. The fish soup came in clear or miso. The clear soup was sweet with the light taste of salmon.

It cost about $50 per set. To a salaried employee like me, it was simply a luxury which I would not be able to experience and afford on a regular basis. Fortunately, this was on the boss. Hee hee.

No comments: