Happy Birthday to you, blurqueensj.blogspot.com!
Alright, I confess. It is cliché to say time flies. Yet, I am sure you share this sentiment deeply with me. So, just indulge me a little and let me shout out loud.
TIME FLIES!
Hey, this is better.
Looking back at the past one year, I was in better control of my time. This is especially so between work and personal life.
Note. This is not to say I have a more lobo job.
In fact, on the contrary, I face more pressing deadlines and even longer hours on work days. The deadlines are really “drop dead” deadlines, no negotiation allowed. Once the meeting time with senior management is arranged, it can never be moved unless it was moved by the senior management’s PA. All efforts would have to be channeled to meeting that deadline. I never have to work beyond 10 pm previously. Now, working beyond 10 pm and beyond is extremely normal during budget time. Starting meeting at 8 am in the morning was almost unheard of in my ex job. Now, it can be the only way to secure time with your bosses or the senior management especially with their tight schedules.
Notwithstanding the adrenalin rush required to meet the deadlines, this adrenalin seemed to “spill over” to the “play side. Well, another cliché saying is apparent – “Work hard and play harder”. *Grin.*
I managed to go to more places for leisure, be in local or overseas. I have gone to two countries and three regions (Hong Kong and China are in the same country) in a single year. Well, rather ashamedly, at the age of 27, the places I have been to are so few that I can finish counting with the fingers on my two hands. Traveling brings about new exposures, challenges and experiences. It nudges me out of my comfort zone and widens my perspectives. I cannot help but chuckle to myself how I have given in to my long-suppressed ‘vacation bug’. It was almost as if I have, quoting my ex-colleague, ‘taken revenge’ for my deprivation. In my previous job, I have only traveled to three times in four years.
I also got to meet my friends more often, even though I still have not quite succeeded to seeing some friends as often as I wish. Time is always the scarce resources. To tell the truth, I am still desperately trying to improve my balance between family, friends and personal time. Some friends may still feel neglected but I am still trying to make up for lost time. Hopefully, they have not given up on me yet. *Praying hard*
I also have time to pursue other interests. At least, I have started a blog and managed to maintain it. Writing helps me to express my thoughts on the various issues that I have been confronted with. It is an avenue for me to be open about likes and dislikes. It is also a ‘memory stick’ for the sights and the adventures. Simultaneously, it becomes a platform for sharing of thoughts, especially through the comments friends left for some of the entries. Some of these comments might not have been posted on the blog but informally through chit chat.
Enough of me and my thoughts.
What about you? How was the last one year for you? Was it exciting? Or was it a year filled with drudgery and menial tasks? Was it a memorable year?
No comments:
Post a Comment