August 14, 2007

Different Lives, Growing Apart

We might be a close-knitted clique in school, always huddling together when we had breaks. We might help each other cover up when one of the girls skipped lectures. We went shopping together for our wardrobe of working clothes before we graduated. We posed in one another’s graduation photos.

However, different life and working experiences seem to drive a wedge in the bond.

I am not saying that we are no longer close. Notwithstanding, we still share the same food when we meet and conscientiously meet for one another’s birthday celebration and wedding dinner, ‘frequency’ has slightly misaligned.

We no longer like the same things. Sometimes I don’t even know what they like these days and birthday gifts now conveniently take the form of vouchers. We no longer are concerned about the same issues. I am concerned about work load and job prospects while they are concerned about marriage, kids and in-laws issues.

Does this happen to all friendships?

Are friends groups of people who happen to meet at a certain place at the same time and have the same interests? When they gradually move away from each other in pursuit of their own life goals, the bond has also weakened?

Few friendships can withstand the test of times despite putting in efforts. When we undergo different life experiences, our personalities, interests and thoughts change. In the past, we could read each other’s mind and help each other finish her sentences. Now, despite explicit expression, I may not even understand fully the message conveyed.

Do you experience the same?

I am sure I am not alone because a friend has once shared with me similar sentiments…

No comments: