Ever since the implementation of open concept to office about 2 years ago, it has improved communication among colleagues. I have initially viewed the open concept more negatively as it would reduce privacy since now what you do onscreen or on the phone would basically be very apparent to all passerbys, including bosses. What I have not foreseen was the increased interaction among colleagues.
When we were in our individual cubicles, despite we being on the same floor, we used to just email or call each other when we wanted to check on something. This was because we did not want to intrude on our colleagues while they were busy with something. At the same time, this allowed us to simultaneously multi-tasked while we spoke with our colleagues.
When we moved to the open cubicle concept, it was not that we cut down email and phone calls completely. We just did less of those and did more of walking to our colleagues' cubicles for a quick chat. Some of the times, in the heat of something, we might even just stand up and holler across to our colleagues. The whole environment was livelier.
With greater interaction, cool formality maintained among colleagues gradually was replaced with a more familiar intimacy. We started telling jokes among each other, gossip slightly especially against the more difficult line managers and even started giving nicknames to each other.
We had an event director - because she was always arrowed to organise events. We had the little boy - because he was the youngest among us and was also deemed as the most innocent among us. We had the master because she was master of three lively boys. We had the chief of business group because she led most of the consolidation work.
What did you think my nickname was?
Drumroll please.
Grrr........
Principal.
I was nicknamed the 'Principal' because firstly, I looked like one with my bespectacled serious look and with a frown on my face most of the time. Secondly, I seemed to have a theory for a lot of things, be it work-related on why others behaved in a certain way to even about food and lobangs and all other things.
Haha, so do not be surpised if the next time someone shouted 'Principal' and I turn my head around. =p
1 comment:
hahah your nic is very apt!
Post a Comment