April 11, 2009

The Flyers

Gosh, it was already the first year anniversary of the Singapore Flyers and I have never ridden on it yet. Shame of me. I have only admired it from afar. I nearly could not contain my excitement when I knew I finally would be riding on it to soak in the view of Singapore from Singapore's latest landmark. I hoped I was not wrong in touting it as the latest landmark, but from my recollection, I did not remember any other architecture on Singapore shores that had caught as much attention for the past year.

I was slightly nervous about my maiden ride especially when it was raining the whole afternoon. It would be rather disappointing if it continued to rain during the time of our 'flight'. Fortunately, the rain stopped after dinner and the skies were certainly clear for a good view during our 9pm ride.

(The shopfronts at the Singapore Flyers)

The Flyer was brightly lit up against the night skies of Singapore. I could see it from far from all corners of the Cityhall area. Each capsule was covered with glass to provide unobstructing view from all directions. To move along such a big diameter in 30 minutes, the capsule ought to be turning at a noticeable speed. However, during the steadiness of the rotation, one would hardly feel and notice any visible movement, unless you would staring at the capsule in front or behind you.

(The beautiful landscape viewed from within the capsule on Singapore Flyers)

The Singapore Marina landscape at night was simply breath-taking. How could we have missed such superb view right at our doorstep? I was certain the view was comparable if not more superior than that of the Bund in Shanghai and the Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong. I could not imagine the spectacular view when the Marina Sands project complete end this year.

(The Marina Sands project brightly lit up due to continual construction even into the night)

I was so excited during the whole ride that I almost refused to sit down. I moved from one corner to another, snapping pictures of the scenery, of my family, of myself. Was I not busy? I was so busy with soaking the whole experience and the feast of beautiful landscape in that the ride was almost over before I knew it. Wow. That was simply amazing.

Amazing but short. Of course, I was starting to miss the fun before I even stepped out of the capsule. For those of you who craved for something more exciting, this could be too tamed and slow-paced for you. However, for people who preferred more peaceful activities, this would be thoroughly enjoyable, especially if you were a visual person.

Notwithstanding, the cost of such a ride could be rather expensive considering that the usual price would be about $30 per person for a 30-minute entertainment. This worked out to be $1 per minute - expensive indeed. Pardon me for throwing in pragmatism, I am an accountant and being calculative is almost my second nature. Perhaps the operator should consider reducing the price to promote more frequent rides from locals as well as tourists.

No comments: