April 08, 2009

Mumps?!?!?

Given my timid nature, especially when it comes to health and mortality (in local terms = kiasee), I was very 'concerned' when I spotted a lump in the inside of my left cheek. It was not ulcer because there is no inflamed area spotted. It was purely a protrusion but with pain. It made speaking and eating difficult whenever the teeth brushed against the swollen part.

I was also worried that it might be mumps and I could be a 'walking bomb', ready to detonate all the germs and viruses to my fellow colleagues and anyone who happened to be near me. After all, I heard mumps were as contagious as chicken pox. Much as I would like to work hard and not cause any inconvenience to my fellow colleagues and my boss, would I actually be putting them to more harm with this inconsiderate action.

Or worse, what if the lump was a precursor or symptom to a terminall illness? Don't we all know that early detection is the best cure?

So immediately after I completed my flash report for the month which usually occured on the 5th working day from the start of the month, I decided to finally go see a doctor to stop all my speculative fears. If it was really meant to be something serious, I might as well hear the bad news now and make good use of my remaining time.

When I showed my GP the lump, he first reassured me that it was no mumps because there was no protrusion on the outside of the cheeks. Phew! One down.

Then he told me that he suspected that it was a viral infection and prescribed me antibiotics to eradicate the viruses. I asked him if I should see a dentist instead. He told me that if after the dose of antibiotics, the swell remained, I should probably check myself in with a dentist. Phew again! It sounded like nothing too serious.

Fortunately, the swell went down after a couple of days and life went back to the peaceful monotony.

No comments: