We passed by this Bak Kut Teh restaurant (I classify it as a restaurant because it has waitresses and waitors and is airconditioned) many times along Balestier Road. Other than Tau Sar Piah (Chinese pastry with bean paste as filling), lights, Chicken Rice (Loy Kee and Boon Tong Kee), one well-known Bah Chor Mee stall, Balestier is also well-known for Bak Kut Teh (Pork Rib Soup).
There are many pork rib soups along the stretch of Balestier Road, which is not a very spacious or long road. Just as you lose some confidence in the quality of the laksa along Katong with so many stalls calling themselves as THE laksa stall in Katong, many similarly are doubtful of the tastiness of the pork rib soups in Balestier. There is this stall which will only operate in the morning. There are pork rib soups in the restaurants of the many 'boutique' hotels. Which is THE one or ones?
After hearing that Fa Qi Ren was rather reasonably-priced, we decided to try. Sometimes, I feel very cheated when I have certain expectations of the quality of the food and to be hugely disappointed by the taste, the price and the entire dining experience even though it is touted to be The one. Hence, I am always a little apprehensive in trying such 'signature' food stalls in areas which are well-known for certain food.
When I walked into the restaurant, I was instantaneously blinded by the many photos of the celebrities taking photos with the owner. We ordered the normal bak kut teh, prickles and the little instestines. You can also opt for the higher end longer ribs. Well, the bak kut teh was above average as the meat was rather tough. It did not disappoint me but I would think it was the best. What impressed me was more of the little instestines as it was very supple and fresh. The soy sauce to sauteed the instestines was very aromatic. As the preparation of intestines required alot of effort to keep it clean, the tastiness of the dish would probably lure me in for a second visit.
If you ask me, I will give it 3.5 spoons out of 5 spoons. *Wink*
2 comments:
haha... u have progressed from wrotong abt fd to ranking them...
HP
Haha... I am after all a number person. So by just describing the food can be a little vague after a while.
Post a Comment