July 24, 2007

Hong Kong – Experiences

This is the first time I fell sick during a vacation. Yes, it was definitely a spoilsport. I was “out of action” for about 1 whole day. It was a test of my independence, both physically and emotionally.

My sore throat started developing on the trip to Disney which quickly accompanied by a fever. I had to forego the closing fireworks to recuperate because if the fever continued, I might not be able to make it past the customs.

I rest in the hotel room the whole of the following day. As I rest in the hotel room, I was overwhelmed by homesickness – feeling alone in a foreign land and worrying about relapse. I also felt guilty for spoiling the trip for my travel mate – Ah Peng. She even had to travel alone to Causeway Bay for shopping as I was too weak to go along.

Notwithstanding the falling sick incident, I had still enjoyed my Hong Kong trip.

I had learnt to be more independent with this trip, being the first time I traveled without any family members. Although I had fallen sick before during my hostel days, my mother was after all only one-hour’s MRT trip away, while in Hong Kong, she was 2 days and a 4-hour flight away, so I had to learn to take care of myself in a foreign land.

On the last day of our trip, we practically shopped on our own. It was again the first time I was on my own overseas. Yet, it was an exhilarating feeling. Perhaps it was also because Hong Kong had given me a safe and secure feeling where I had little fear when I walked on the streets alone.

With these experiences, I became more independent and ready to go on a trip alone. I hope I will be able to go back to Hong Kong another time to explore areas which I have missed out this time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... means u'll be travelling to somewhere alone soon?? haha.... hk still ok to wander ard alone la... but u may not be able to enjoy this kind of freedom elsewhere....

wc

SJ said...

Yup, toying with the idea. Agreed not all places so easy to move around. Perhaps if I go to the more city areas, it may be easier.

Anonymous said...

taiwan should be quite ok for lone travellers too. too bad u've been there bfore. wld u wana go back there again, on your own this time?

SJ said...

Yup, actually think Taiwan is also a good place to travel alone. I think I will want to go back some day. Felt that there are many parts of Taiwan I have not explored yet.

I heard Japan is also good.