December 15, 2009

Support From Boss

I must have looked dreadful. The stress must be getting to me till people around me start to notice my frowns and tired appearance. My boss decided to have a one-to-one with me to find out how I was getting on.

I have always have a rather open communication with my boss. Hence, I have no qualms being upfront with her on my worries about my latest portfolio change when I was tasked to cover a colleague on maternity leave. This colleague's portfolio was already quite big in itself. I have only relinquished half of my existing portfolio. Moreover, this was the budget period. I had to cram all the product knowledge within a short period of time and to be able to intelligently apply all business knowledge to the budget submitted. Business acumen could only be built over time through product and market familiarity. I usually held high expectations of myself. Hence, I was very apprehensive about whether I would be able to do a good job.

My boss after hearing my concerns assured me that they had confidence that I would be able to pull through all the challenges ahead. She also highlighted the bosses would provide whatever support that I needed to complete the analysis including running through with me some of their focus areas so that I would not go on a wild goose chase of information to reach a finding that might not be as relevant.

I was very grateful for the talk. It was a vote of confidence by my boss. At the same time, it also showed that my boss was not blind to the stresses that we all faced one time or another with the challenges that came our way. I nearly teared during the talk from being moved by her concern and support. I was truly glad I had such a supportive and knowledgeable boss who could guide and support me through work challenges.

No comments: